I have a form which shows a variable number of rows of numbers and text. The
rows are created using OBJECT DUPLICATE on each of the half-dozen items in the
row (yes, using a collection listbox might be a better way do to it, but I
wrote this code a while ago). If a row is deleted, I need to copy the contents
of the rows beneath it upwards.

So I have a method which creates an object and populates it with pointers to
the created variables. I call this to get a set of pointers to one row, then
again to get a set to the next row, and then I copy.

I start

C_OBJECT($from;$to)
$from:=TCMGetRow($start)

then in a loop,

$to:=$from
$from:=TCMGetRow($i)

$to.toDate:=$from.toDate
$to.toAge:=$from.toAge
etc.

TCMGetRow has

C_OBJECT($0;$o)
C_LONGINT($1;$row)
$row:=$1

C_TEXT($root)

$root:="vr"+String($row)+"c"
$o:=New object

$o.toDate:=OBJECT Get pointer(Object named;$root+"0")
$o.toAge:=OBJECT Get pointer(Object named;$root+"1")
etc

$0:=$o

I’m getting the message in the subject line in the main loop for each
assignment, but only when compiled; interpreted, it works fine. In the
debugger, the pointers in $to and $from point to variables of the same type.

I’m quite new to extensive use of objects. What am I missing?

Jeremy