From: a...@bitfolk.com
To: Robert McWilliam <r...@allmail.net>
Subject: Your BitFolk VPSes ("finzean", "garioch") need to be rebooted for
critical maintenance
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 03:16:34 +0000

Dear customer,

We've recently been made aware of some serious security issues in the
hypervisor software that we use (Xen). Fixing these problems will
require us to reboot our hosts and therefore all customer VPSes must
also be rebooted (or experience suspend/restore - see below).

You do not need to respond to this email unless you have questions about
the process.

We must apply these fixes to ensure the security and reliability both of
your VPSes and of our infrastructure, which is why we have no choice but
to proceed with this work in the short period of time between
notification and the end of the embargo.

I understand that this will prove disruptive to you and that you would
prefer much more notice. In better circumstances we do provide more
notice and allow for deferrals or moving VPSes between hosts, but the
seriousness of this issue means that we need to reboot everything before
the embargo on the details ends (12:00Z 20 November 2018).

Your VPSes have been assigned a maintenance window during which the
reboots will take place. The start of the maintenance window for each of
your VPSes is listed below, in UTC time zone. Each maintenance window is
up to 60 minutes long, though the work should be completed much sooner
than this, typically within a few minutes (yay, SSDs!).

+-----------------+---------------+--------------------+
| Name            | Main IPv4     | Window start (UTC) |
+-----------------+---------------+--------------------+
|         finzean | 85.119.82.172 | 2018-11-18 00:30   |
|         garioch | 85.119.84.59  | 2018-11-18 01:30   |
+-----------------+---------------+--------------------+

At some point in each maintenance window your VPS will be cleanly shut
down. The host it is on will then be patched and rebooted, and then your
VPS will be brought up again.

You should ensure that your VPS and all its services start up correctly
on boot. We offer a free Nagios monitoring service which can help you to
know if your VPS and its services are working correctly. If you have not
done so already then you may want to get in touch with us to have this
set up. You can do that by replying to this email and describing which
services you would like monitored.

If you would prefer for us to attempt to suspend and restore your VPS
to/from storage, resulting in less disruption, then you can indicate
that preference on our web panel at:

    https://panel.bitfolk.com/account/config/#prefs

Doing so will cause us to add Nagios ping checks for your VPS so we can
have a good chance at knowing if the restore was successful.

If you have any questions please reply to this email, which will open a
support ticket. Please note however that we cannot change the date or
time of the planned maintenance. There is no need to reply to this email
unless you have further questions, or wish to request Nagios monitoring.

Best regards,
Andy Smith
BitFolk Ltd