>> goos.c is meant to be in src/lib9, I need to start up my laptop to
>> check that in fact it is a module I added specially for Plan 9.
>
> Lucio, what is the difference between your purpose and the one
> I installed (plan9fron?).   By your attention, I found Russ's repository
> of 'go for plan9', and the one I have installed is not shown there.

I started with the objective of porting the improved development
toolchain (8a, 8c, 8l) to Plan 9 so that I could use Plan 9 as my
development platform of choice.  Consider that the Go toolchain
includes 6a, 6c and 6l for the x64 as well as tools for the arm, all
there for the picking.  Also, the target platforms are interesting and
increasingly so: various Posix-like OSes, including Darwin, Windows
and Native Client (NaCl).  That was my original attraction, not least
ELF output format, which I have shoehorned into an odish version of
the Plan 9 kernel but was unable to test (who knows what good that
might do!).

I discovered that the Go release is quite a moving target and chose to
feed back to the Go Authors as many of the changes to the Go release
sources as they were willing to accept.  We have made considerable
progress as a result and both sides have hopefully benefitted from my
efforts, which are continuing as we speak.

The difference from the plan9front release of Go is that the latter
is, as far as I understand, a one-off effort which will become more
and more difficult to maintain over time.  I have been there myself,
although I have not been as successful; worse, it was hard for me to
go forward after a pause of a few months, I do not envy the next
person to follow that path.

Please treat the above as opinion, I have not had the opportunity to
investigate the plan9front port of Go and I am basing my opinions on
what I have heard from others.

> According to your mail, you are going to submit your efforts to
> golang community, where Russ is one of the big members.
> Russ also has been contributed Plan 9 community for a long time.
> Then, I suppose anyone will send their patch to Russ...
> Many don't know his repository on google?

Russ has been an extremely helpful reviewer of the stuff I have
submitted to the Go Authors, he and I have successfully negotiated a
number of differences of opinion and my efforts in future ought to be
easier because of his assistance.  Any stumbles at this stage are
entirely of my own making.

> I'm not a suitable person to develope language, I'll be a user of it.
> However, the sceen I'm now experiencing looks like strange to me.
>
> Any considerations?
>
> Kenji

The end product I envisage is a convergence of the Go release with its
Plan 9 port, ideally by including all necessary elements in the Go
distribution.  But we're a long way from there, the current Go
distribution is heavily oriented towards compiling using GCC which
means that providing a parallel build using tools that are very
closely related to the very tools that are being generated, is an
ambitious objective.  At this point this is also to some extent in
conflict with the present approach.  Nevermind that bash is also used
extensively in the build, which creates another significant barrier
between the two environments.

So you'll need to forgive me if my approach is slow and seemingly
unfruitful, the distant objectives are more important to me than
immediate gratification.  In my defence, progress is being made and
there is room for contribution.  The use of Code Review as set up
specifically for purposes such as this is the key to my approach and
others are welcome to participate.

Note that I'm not a language developer either.  Programming languages
are a facet of my interest in Computer Science, but in this case my
efforts are almost mechanical, a port to Plan 9 without much effort
towards enhancing the code under consideration.  This is one of the
agreed compromises between me and Russ, he convinced me that changes
to the code base at this point ought to be kept to a minimum.
Eventually, I intend to break out of that jail, but right now I
believe that Russ' approach is best for both parties.  In passing,
will you please post the URL for "his repository on google" you
mention above?  I may be one of those many who do not know about it
(unless of course you're speaking of the official Mercurial
repository).

Feel free to ask for any additional explanations.

++L