Quoting erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net>:

On Sat Dec  6 05:38:15 PST 2014, lu...@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> smtp=host!987

Too clever!  I'm not sure it would work, though, because in
/sys/src/upas/smtp/mxdial.c the invocation is explicitly:

        addr = netmkaddr(addr, 0, "smtp");

this works, and it's common practice.  if it did not work,
telnet wouldn't work on anything other than port 23.

the reading of the 3d argument is "default port", not
we're forcing this port come hell or high water.

- erik

This is detailed in the manpage for dial(2), which I know
because I went through the exact process Lucio did but
concluded there was no way someone would make things that
hard for themselves... so I checked the documentation.

Never hurts!

khm