I too see this, and feel, no proof, that things used to be better. I.e. the
first time I read a file from venti it it very, very slow. subsequent reads
from the ram cache are quick.

I think venti used to be faster a few years ago. maybe another effect of this
is the boot time seems slower than it used to be.

sorry to be vague.

-Steve