There’s a fair amount of FUD here. The light sensitivity was fixed with a new
component run (and, incidentally, is not specific to the Pi, you can take out
other exposed electronics/computers with a flash), and the reliability pretty
much became a non-issue since the Pi 2.

People buy Pis because of the ecosystem, flexibility (you get a full blown
Linux system for a few bucks that can drive an HD monitor, an external hard
drive for media and Wi-Fi), the educational aspects (the official distribution
ships with Scratch, Python and a free edition of Mathematica) and the relative
bang for buck.

I have several editions (originals, 2s, 3s and Zeros) and use the smallest
instead of Arduino boards for situations where more CPU and expand ability are
required—I’ve resurrected a dead synth by wiring in a Pi with a USB DAC and
installing timidity, my 3D printer is managed and monitored (with a webcam) by
another, my digital oscilloscope is a quad-core Pi 2 with an 800px LCD display,
and I use Pi 3s as thin terminals (besides a few other uses).

A Pi 3 is good enough to code in, and I have a Pi 2 running Plan 9 without any
glitches (although I’ve been meaning to investigate moving to the 3 for
Wi-Fi...).

I also have a few Arduinos, but have been phasing them out in favor of ESP8266
devices, which are usually smaller and just as easier to work with (I code for
those in C, Python or Lua, depending on flavor).

Both kinds of devices have (save from initial teething issues) been quite
reliable in my experience. ESP8266s, in particular, have become common in
commercial consumer devices, but Pi compute modules are used by some media
players and digital signage.

R.