RPi3 are reasonably capable for the price.  For me, they make sense because:

* RPis make it easy to try non-windows OS (including Plan 9).
* Provide a usable, yet inexpensive ARM platform for Plan9.
* (almost) all RPI hardware components are supported in Plan 9.
* There is an enthusiastic community building everything imaginable for,
and with, RPI's.

RPi's aren't "the" answer, but neither is Intel-inside everything.  The
speculative execution debacle proves that the entire industry has too much
reliance on one architecture. Diversity of architectures is good for Plan 9
and the industry as a whole.

In a perfect world there would be equivalent popular platforms for MIPS,
Power, RISC-V and other architectures.

-Skip