Anyone remember CompuLab Trim-Slice? I had one in early 2010's. It ran
so hot, I used it as a coaster to keep my coffee warm; it had the
perfect shape for it too.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 12:58 PM ron minnich <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> you'd be surprised how hot you can make those old CPUs, from that generation. 
> I used to use a simple test, but an ice cube on it and see how long it takes 
> to melt.
>
> "low power" CPUs like the AMD Geode would melt ice cubes quickly, and get too 
> hot to touch. These were the CPUs used in the OLPC laptop.
>
> It just being a PI 1B doesn't really tell you anything about power and heat. 
> It's not about belief, it's about measurement.
>
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2026 at 2:49 PM <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, October 05, 2026, at 12:27 PM, Ron Minnich wrote:
>>
>> the other possibility: plan 9 may not be good at power management on your 
>> device, and, possibly, your card got hot. We saw this on a risc-v board, 
>> where the system got so hot it had to be left to cool for 30m before it 
>> could boot.
>>
>> Can you monitor power supply voltage, to see if you are browning out? Can 
>> you see if the system is getting hot?
>>
>> This is a raspberry-pi 1 B, with basically no load on it.  I find it 
>> difficult to believe that if this was the case, the problem wouldn't have 
>> been detected by whoever ported the os to the device.  Or another ordinary 
>> user later.  You'd want to spend at least a little bit of time, probably a 
>> lot, checking that everything worked as expected.
>>
>> I can do this monitoring, but I'll have to figure out how to first.  Keep in 
>> mind that I've been using the device regularly since then, and the problem 
>> hasn't re-appeared, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
>
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: 
https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tc322db746dabdc8f-Mcae1997a92feaecd1c2aea1a
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

Reply via email to