On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 20:29 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Affordable hardware options mean more people are likely to get
> involved with open source GSM development in general. True for
> every other hardware-related open source project I've seen..
>

> > Please focus your scarce resources where it is really needed...
>
> Yeah. The focus isn't on PCBs. As you say, this is a software
> intensive area, the required hardware is "simple".
>
> Hardware in hand of course does not bring any software, but already
> thinking about that hardware helps identify what software to focus
> on, and next step, hardware availability helps people get involved.

Exactly, the point is.. there are many students (like me) and other
possible contributors out there who are not able to spend 1000 US
Dollars for buying a USRP1+Daughterboards+Antenna + UPS to Europe
(delivery itself is about 100USD + taxes?)

So the benefit of new hardware would definitely be that much more people
would buy this diy-pcb + components, solder it themselves and are then
able to contribute software to the project without having spent 1000$.

How do you want people to contribute code to the airprobe project if
they have not enough money to buy a USRP?

A downlink "module" would be sufficient for the beginning, a "uplink
module" could follow if needed. But at first a less expensive rx-module,
designed especially for receiving gsm signals, could help the project to
rapidly get more contributors.

Btw. I wouldn't say that the hardware is "that" simple, as Harald Welte
stated, professional measurement equipment is necessary, all guys at
university may be able to use stuff from the faculty, but it may still
be very hard to coordinate such a project just over the net/mailinglist.