In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, I. Oppenheim
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Bernard Hill wrote:
>
>> Is ~ a roll or a turn?
>
>According to ABC 1.7.6, it's a roll:
>
><<
>$ The standard set of definitions (if you do not
>$ redefine them) is:
>$ U: ~ = !roll!
>$ U: T = !trill!
>$ U: H = !fermata!
>$ U: L = !emphasis!
>$ U: M = !lowermordent!
>$ U: P = !uppermordent!
>$ U: S = !segno!
>$ U: O = !coda!
>$ U: u = !upbow!
>$ U: v = !downbow!
>>>

>If the user wants different behaviour, he can change
>the definition.

As long as he knows how. Can I ask how many abc users are used to
editing the language, or do they just use it to print/play tunes on the
net?

>> [..] is the symbol for a chord, but I've seen +..+ also used
>
>The + notation has since long been deprecated.
>
>> Change of time sig (etc) can be done with [M:3/4] in
>> the middle of a line or M:3/4 on a line by itself.
>
>correct.
>
>> But I've seen music with M:3/4 without brackets in a
>> mid-line.
>
>incorrect. Should give either a warning or an error
>message.
>
>> My biggest wail is the end-of-line. The standard says
>> that the end of line is the end of music line (unless
>> terminated with \ character). But many tunes have
>> silly numbers of bars, on a line, like 10,9,1 on 3
>> consecutive lines. Clearly needing relayout but then
>> when to relayout a line, when not?
>
>All the standard says is : << Generally one line of abc
>notation will produce one line of music, although if
>the music is too long it will overflow onto the next
>line.>>
>
>So a newline does not force (but only suggests) a line
>break, and it is up to the program to come up with a
>sound layout algorithm.

But I take it that the sentence above means that it WILL break at a line
end and MAY break elsewhere...

The problem as a developer is that we're second-guessing writers of
"bad" abc notation.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland