On Friday 04 July 2003 10:07 am, Jack Campin wrote:

> A full solution would need to allow new graphical elements to be
> introduced (in a platform-independent way, say as GIFs; in the worst
> case they might have to be taken from a scan of a manuscript) and
> allow their meaning to be redefinable, in case new scholarship finds
> that for some particular piece, a different set of conventions were
> really in force than those the transcriber had in mind.

May I direct you to my suggestion of a builtin scripting system? This is
*exactly* the situation I was thinking of; the idea would be that one could
insert a symbol called whatever, and attach drawing and playing instructions
to it.

As an aside, a vectorial description system would be better; if there's one
that's ideal for parsing and translation, so much the better.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Calum