Am still catching up with last weeks postings...

John Chambers writes:

>Which does remind me of a suggestion I've long thought of making: Any
>Baroque  musician  is familiar with the convention that a '+' above a
>note means "Ornament this note somehow".  It's a generic,  unspecific
>ornament symbol. I personally would like it to mean this in abc. This
>really just means that '+' would be added to  the  list  of  ornament
>symbols, and the default display form is merely a '+' above the note.
>It should be definable, of course.  And a clever abc  player  program
>could pick a random ornament from its repertoire.

        Ok, but you don't have to make the plus sign a part of abc.
There could simply be a macro---or escape or macro-like entity, or
whatever you want to call it---which will put *any* desired character
over/under a note.  Then you simply tell the macro that the character it's
adding is a plus sign, and alias it with one of H---Z, say P, for plus.
Then |ABc Pdef| puts a plus sign over the d.  (Of course you need a way of
making minute adjustments in the position of the plus sign so it'll look
good---they seldom look just right without a little adjustment.) The
advantage of this that you can put other articulation signs over the note
with the same generic macro.

        I think you could try this out in your abc2ps clone without too
much difficulty.  Contact me off list if you're interested.

Cheers,
John