>> 1 remove all CR and LF characters.
>> 2 remove all </p>
>> 3 change all <p> to CR/LF
>> 4 change all <br> to CR/LF
>
> While I recognize this is a "first stab" heuristic, it fails because
> of too many assumptions.
> For line endings:
>   Windows/DOS use CR/LF
>   Unix/Linux/Mac OS X use  LF
>   Mac classic uses CR

Doesn't matter.  The idea is to generate a valid ABC file with the text
line breaks marked by *some* consistent choice of those.  Translating
for some client elsewhere is a separate problem - and one solved by the
designers of the FTP protocol about 30 years ago.  I wonder if there is
a site somewhere that represents ABC tune lines internally by 80-column
card images in EBCDIC? - if so there's no reason any user outside should
ever know or have it cause a problem.

Where you *are* going to get a problem is if the input file uses a
mixture of linebreak characters and HTML tags to indicate ABC line
ends.  Could anybody really be that stupid?... er, well...

> An emerging requirement for HTML is that ALL tags be paired win
> an <TAG ON> </TAG  OFF>.

Really?  I thought </P> was deprecated?