On 7 Jun 2004, at 08:46, Paulo Eleutério Tibúrcio wrote:

Em Qua 02 Jun 2004 12:47, John Chambers escreveu:
Jack Campin writes:
[snip]
| > The  problem  is how best to say this.
| > There  is a list of headers that could contain a code for "no
| > notes". This field already uses a double quote to indicate that
| > accompaniment chords are present. I wonder if there's a good
| > single char that could stand for "notes", or maybe for "no
| > notes"?  Perhaps  '*'  (asterisk) could be used for this, as it
| > doesn't seem to have any other use, and it is conventionally
| > used to indicate an explanatory  footnote.
|
| That sounds pretty good.

Maybe I'll try implementing it.

I don't think that would be a good idea.  IMHO any characters that
might still be available should be reserved to signal new, more
productive contexts.  The "no notes" context can be easily be
indicated by a pseudocomment as long as a standard one be agreed
upon.  E.g.

        %% End of tune

or

        %% No notes

or

        %% End of X:<tune identifier>

Of course, this would be just a redundant way of telling parsers that
the transcriber _hasn't_ made the mistake of signaling the end of
tune prematurely.

Why not just use a "tune" which consists of a single barline? That is actually a minimal legal tune. BarFly will display an empty staff, with title, composer clef and metre. (Otherwise you get an error message which says "No tune".) Not sure what other parsers will do.

Phil Taylor