Stephen Kellett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers
| <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
|| other  fora:  Microsoft has received a US patent on some of their XML
|| encodings generated by Word. This may not matter much yet outside the
|| US,  though  Europe is probably going to enable similar laws shortly.
|| In the  US,  decoding  such  files  with  software  not  licensed  by
|| Microsoft  is  not  only  a  patent  infringement;  it is also a DMCA
|| violation.
|
| That is really excellent news. Why?
| 1) If proof were needed that patenting is now defeating the object it
| was intended to serve, this is a very fine example.
|
| 2) If MS do start prosecuting based on this, its a good reason for
| even more people to move away from Microsoft Office software. I'd have
| thought the Linux camp would be overjoyed by such a stupid move as
| patenting a document interchange format. Jef Raskin must be wondering
| why he bothers with his user interface work when its all thrown away
| because you can't even share the document you wrote.
|
| The ecommerce company I work for will not accept purchase orders in
| Microsoft format because Microsoft keep changing the document format
| and thus force an upgrade on you. We insist on PDF because Adobe
| provide a free reader (I've recently noticed MS now provide a free
| Word reader). No going back, we're sticking with Adobe.
|
| I don't dislike Microsoft - the MSDN programme is superb, OSDN doesn't
| come close. I do dislike enforced upgrades of software, burning of
| customers. Microsoft Office policy fits this nicely, from what I've
| seen.
|
| Taking the above patent idea a bit further: Patenting a data format,
| thats a bit like patenting DNA (pointless, we all own it) or patenting
| the alphabet. Patenting the use of such ideas is also pointless
| (reading is a public domain activity as is the mammalian response to
| various DNA sequences and enzymes, etc).
|
| Sorry, end rant. I'm surprised I haven't seen the above patent
| mentioned on Slashdot, although I could've missed it.

I think it is quite fair enough to mention things like this as they have the
potential to affect so many people's lives, paticularly anyone who is using
or engineering software.
While the overall concept of a software patent might appear to be a good
one, XML encodings are not software - they are documents.
If somebody were to write a program to do something particular with XML,
then as a program that would be software and could potentially be patented.
Also, the source code for that software could be subject to copyright and
any name it used could be registered as a trademark.
XML is a mark-up language, that is something which adds 'marking up' to a
document in order to indicate formatting. As a document, a body of XML could
be subject to copyright in exactly the same way as the content of a book or
the notes of some music. Software, in other words a program, could be
patented as it is a 'process' and the concept of binding sheets of paper
together to make a book could have been patented because it is the design of
a physical object (by the person who invented it of course).
One interesting upshot of 'software patents' is that the procedure for a
patent application makes the design public, at least it does in Europe
though I'm not too sure how America stands on this. If the application is
successfull it stops other people from using it for commercial gain but the
content of the patent has to be available so that people can see exactly
what it is that has been patented.
As regards a patent on the process which generates the microsoft proprietary
XML-type of document mark-ups, people will be able to see it - and thus
derrive the microsoft proprietary standards - from the fact that the patent
is available for all to read. This will mean that they will be able to
create their own software programs which can work with the same documents,
and they will be able to apply for a patent on that software provided the
program code is not copied from microsoft.
So as I see it software patents will force standards which are currently
proprietary to become open !
Is patent law particularly different in America on these points ?
Kevin.