Peter,

I would think so but it would be a performance hit to ATs. Also, I am not
sure how readily available the clipping regions are where they would do the
clipping.

Perhaps Shawn could weigh in on his thoughts here? Shawn?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

             Peter Korn
             <peter.k...@oracl
             e.com>                                                     To
                                       Richard
             05/17/2010 12:35          Schwerdtfeger/Austin/i...@ibmus
                                       Alexander Surkov
                                       <surkov.alexan...@gmail.com>,
                                       accessibility-...@lists.linuxfounda
                                       tion.org,
                                       accessibility-ia2-boun...@lists.lin
                                       uxfoundation.org, Shawn Warren
                                       <swar...@aisquared.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Accessibility-ia2] exposing
                                       content that is not visible

Rich,

The particular use case here is around text, yes?  IA2/ATK/JA-API should
all expose character boundary information (the bounding rectangle of every
character in every accessible object).  Likewise, the boundary of whatever
the text is contained in is likewise exposed.  So it should be a fairly
trivial operation for a screen magnifier to do this clipping operation -
just by clipping to the object containing the text.

No?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Principal
Oracle

      Hi Alex,

      Exposing clipped content is great for screen readers. What AI
      Squared is saying is that they would like to know something is not
      visible ( due to clipping) as they are trying to magnify what is
      visible. Imagine you have low vision and are reading a text and
      magnifying that part of the scree but it is partially obscured. So,
      you are magnifying a part of the screen that does not exist visually.

      Having access to the offscreen information is essential for a screen
      reader user who may be searching for content and does no care if
      something is obscured but for a magnifier users this is a problem. AI
      Squared has had to resort to using their offscreen model which
      represents only visual information to magnify as things are being
      read to the user.

      I would like to reduce the dependency on having to use screen
      scraping technology. It is invasive to systems and is less accurate
      than accessibility APIs.

      Rich

      Rich Schwerdtfeger
      CTO Accessibility Software Group

 Alexander Surkov
 <surkov.alexander
 @gmail.com>
                          Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/i...@ibmus
 05/15/2010 01:35                                                       cc
 AM                       p...@a11ysoft.com,
                          accessibility-ia2@lists.linuxfoundation.org,
                          accessibility-ia2-boun...@lists.linuxfoundation.
                          org, Shawn Warren <swar...@aisquared.com>
                                                                   Subject
                          Re: [Accessibility-ia2] exposing content that is
                          not visible

      Hi, Rich.

      Clipped and scrolled off elements operable, for example, keyboard
      shortcuts works. So I would say they should be accessible, expose
      offscreen state, attached to accessible tree and as consequence no
      new
      API is needed. At least this is how it works in Firefox.

      Thank you.
      Alex.

      On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger
      <sch...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
      > I was speaking with Shawn Warren of AI Squared and he indicated
      that he
      > would like to have IA2 be able to hid access to content that is not
      visible.
      > In particular it appears Shawn was referring to content and
      componentry that
      > was clipped out due to window size and other windows obscuring the
      content.

      > I was thinking about this and perhaps the right way to do this
      would be have
      > an API feature that would turn on clipping for at least documents.
      What do
      > others think?
      >

      > Rich Schwerdtfeger
      > CTO Accessibility Software Group