Jamie,

The point is we want ALL the landmarks to be treated the same way for ATVs. So,
first we determine that it is a landmark. Then we go to xml-roles to determine
the type of landmark.

Otherwise, we need a special case for a form. That is what we are trying to
avoid. For these reasons ATK/ATSPI created a landmark role first.

The HTML the form element now uses the ARIA mappings for the form role. See
"Use WAI-ARIA mapping” under the form element. This is for all platforms.

https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/html-aam/html-aam.html
<https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/html-aam/html-aam.html>

We do understand that non-browser applications may still use the older Form
role mapping as would older browser versions. It is for these reasons that our
definition of deprecation is that it has not gone a way but rather it is going
to this new preferred mapping.

Best,

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger