Friends, if you don't mind, first of all, accept yourself, then only you may be accepted by others. ----- Original Message ----- From: "turab chimthanawala" <turab...@gmail.com> To: "AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the disabled." <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Sunday, April 8, 2018 02:49 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Disclosing or not disclosing the visual impairment

Hi Alvesh,
Well my experience regarding disclosing or not disclosing my
disability is as under:
As I have partial blindness, in the initial years of my life, I tried
to behave as far as possible like a sighted person, trying to do
things their way, greatly hesitating to ask for reasonable
accomodations and most importantly trying to conceal my disability.
The upshot of this was lack of confidence, loneliness, mental stress
and greater dependence. In the last few years when I have internalised
my disability, life has become much more interesting. It relieves a
lot of mental and physical stress as there is no unnecessarily
compulsion to appear 'normal'. As regards others, the moment we accept
ourselves, it would not take long for others to accept us. And if
people have a problem, better not have them in our lives. Also, the
moment I have decided to accept my disability, people instead of
alienating me, respect and admire me even more for being able to
overcome my disability and take keen interest as to how I perform
routine tasks in my unique way. As regards repeated questions
regarding some sensitive issues, there is always an option to politely
request to pass the question. Moreover, however  hard you try,
ultimately people will become aware of your condition as you are bound
to struggle at some or the other point.
Hence, like others, I also suggest to disclose rather than conceal
your disability. I feel the white stick is an excellent tool to
discretely let people know of our blindness. Hence, you could start
using your stick, if you have not already.
Best
Turab