From: Vamshi. G <gvamsh...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [AI] disability and census
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Date: Sunday, 18 April, 2010, 12:41 PM

Hi,

We all are seeing with how much interest the government is pursuing
any work when it is related exclusively to the disabled.  So, I doubt
the possibility of a multipurpose disability card being issued at the
national level.

Caste, religion etc. can't be identified without a certificate, but
disability can be identified by the very presence of the person.  So,
I don't know how and why we want to hide this aspect.

Coming to denial of services,even now, we  can't escape from being
discriminated because there has to be a personal interaction for
availing those services.  And in the recent past, we've seen some
cases wherein we've been successful in availing these services.

And Rahul sir, correcting you is a far away thing, first let me
understand you,  honestly, I didn't get your exact intent when you
emphasised so much on my option of availing benefits.  So, please
educate me in that area, either on the list or off the list.

I personally feel having disability on the UID card is one form of
inclusiveness.

--
G. Vamshi
PH Res : +91 877-2243861

www.retinaindia.org

On 4/18/10, jignesh thakur <jigneshthaku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sir,
> In our country many people consider disability as like asirias crime.
> There is a question of expectance, if the disability would menssion on
> the card, our lots of application and other things will rejected
> automatically. We live in the country where people have not much
> respect for disable person.
> My point is that the disability on the card will not give us a chanse
> to prove ourself at many places. For example once I submitted my
> documents for trading account, the company expected it willingly, but
> when we had face to face meeting for formalities, he realized that I
> am visually impaired person, and he suddenly rejected my application.
> How ever I could convince him to give me his services. If I had
> produced disability card at that time the result might have different.
> That’s why I am against it.
> Though vamshisir and other are more intelligent they can thing far
> better than me. I am just writing my thoughts.
> Thanks.
>

> On 4/17/10, rahul cherian <rahul.cher...@inclusiveplanet.com> wrote:
>> Let me put it this way. Would you be ok if your religion or you caste were
>> on the UID? What if you are a minority community living in a state like
>> Gujarat and riots like the Godhra riots happened? Would you want to be
>> easily identified based on your religion? My concern with disability being
>> one of the parameters is something similar. I am sure this comes across as
>> me being paranoid but I think that having disability as one of the
>> parameters could lead to abuse of the information to the detriment of
>> persons with disabilities.
>>
>> Vamshi, what you want is a multipurpose certificate of disability which
>> you
>> can use, at your option, I repeat, at your option to avail of benefits.
>>
>> I confess that I have not done much research into this area so please
>> correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rahul
>>
>> On 17 April 2010 22:25, Vamshi. G <gvamsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But if having disability as one of the fields in the UID exempts me
>>> from carrying a separate disability certificate, railway concession
>>> certificate, bus travel concession
>>> card etc. , and enables me to book all tickets on line by providing
>>> the UID number, and I'm provided with all the benefits I'm entitled to
>>> without me requiring to go through the cumbersome procedures, I would
>>> rather prefer to have it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> G. Vamshi
>>> PH Res : +91 877-2243861
>>> Mobile: +91 9949349497
>>> E-mail ID:
>>> gvamsh...@gmail.com
>>> Skype: gvamshi81
>>>
>>> www.retinaindia.org

>>> at

Send free SMS to your Friends on Mobile from your Yahoo! Messenger. Download
Now! http://messenger.yahoo.com/download.php