On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 09:44:37PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Jim Schaad <i...@augustcellars.com> wrote:
>     > In section 2 - There will be a problem in that the port format
> extension is
>     > being eliminated in TLS 1.3 - We may want to divide this into a 1.2 and
> 1.3
>     > section for clarity.
>
> I don't understand what you are referring to.
>
> What is the "port format extension" you are referring to, and where in
> section 2 do you think we are depending upon it?

   [...] DTLS
   implementations MUST use the Supported Elliptic Curves and Supported
   Point Formats Extensions [RFC4492]; the uncompressed point format
   MUST be supported; [RFC6090] can be used as an implementation method.

The uncompressed point format only exists in (D)TLS 1.2 and lower.
(TLS 1.3 does not separately negotiate point format, rather, the
point format is determined by the group/curve to be used.)

I think the fix would just be something like "the uncompressed point
format MUST be supported for DTLS versions prior to 1.3".

-Ben