I'm just getting into Maven for all of our dependency control, and was
updating my build scripts to use the Maven2 repository with the Maven
Tasks for Ant to do my dependency checking.

Imagine my surprise when my build scripts proceeded to download all of
Spring-1.2.8 and Resin-3.0.9 after including
"acegi-security-resin-1.0.3".

I'm curious as to all of the POM dependencies for (now obsolete)
versions of Spring, as well as presumptions about the version of resin
I'm using (we use 2.1.17, and can't update).

I'd really like to use Maven to handle this, but I can't justify an
additional 15mb to my build for stuff that isn't even needed, and which
could potentially break (or worse) our environment.

I tried using the various "scope" options, but nothing worked.  Any
ideas?  Or can someone help me understand why all of these dependencies
are included in the POM (I though acegi wasn't supposed to be dependent
on Spring, only enhanced by it).

Thanks,

Kyle Mallory