On 8 August 2016 at 12:39, Richard Barnes <r...@ipv.sx> wrote:
> So I'm honestly not that convinced that we need versioning at all here.
> Maybe we could get away with just versioning the directory?  (As I think the
> original issue proposed :) )

I believe that it was PHB who requested this originally, the rationale
being that you might create a new version of the same resource/request
that looked similar, but had different semantics.  Rather than rely on
having us (in all our possible future incarnations) not doing that, a
version indicator would make signatures invalid.

If that is a requirement that you accept, then a much simpler scheme
than the one you wrote up is possible.  Versioning the directory isn't
sufficient to achieve that goal though.  The first part of your PR
would work though: include a version, and require that it be checked.