"I love the smell of red herrings in the morning" - anonymous

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Laura A.
Robinson
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 8:46 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT: Vista Activation and KMS

Okay, let me see if I can summarize this in a gazillion words or less...

There are two types of activations for Vista- MAK activation and KMS
activation.

MAK activation works much like an MSDN subscription. You tell Microsoft
how many MAK activations you want to purchase. Microsoft sells you a MAK
key with that many activations. A machine that is activated via MAK
activation never has to renew. A MAK-activated client either directly
contacts Microsoft servers for activation or (in 2007, when the VAMT
tool is released) it activates against a proxy in your company that
"feeds" the activation to Microsoft activation servers. If you reinstall
the OS and specify MAK activation again, then that will use another of
your allocated activations. MAK activation is designed for machines that
are NEVER connected to your network (VPN counts as connected) in any
given six-month period. Therefore, we're talking about a machine that
goes out your door and you don't see it again for a very long time. MAK
keys should not be commonly or lightly used. In the reinstall scenario,
much as you can now, you can contact Microsoft at that time and explain
the situation and get another activation.

KMS activation DOES NOT REPORT ANYTHING TO MICROSOFT. You activate the
KMS host against a Microsoft activation server, and your KMS clients get
activated by YOUR KMS host. Once a week, they try to renew. If renewal
is successful, the KMS client now has six months from that day to renew
again. The client will still renew once a week and will be extending
that six month window each time. In other words, you always have six
months from initial activation or renewal of activation before the
client MUST contact a KMS host again. If it's day 179 and your KMS host
has been down that entire time, when you bring it back up on day 179,
your clients can renew their activations for another six months. During
those 179 days while the KMS host was down, they are unaffected unless
their 180 days of validity expired during that time and they were unable
to locate and contact another KMS server.

If you reinstall the OS on a KMS-activated client, IT DOESN'T MATTER,
because Microsoft doesn't track KMS clients. In fact, even the KMS
server only keeps track of the last fifty activations it has performed.
Now, if you want to keep this information for your own records, you can
easily extract it from the event logs or you can use the MOM management
pack for KMS.

With KMS activation, you are simply saying to Microsoft, "we anticipate
that we will have 10,000 [or whatever] Vista clients. Therefore, we'll
pay you for that many Vista clients." That's the end of the story as far
as Microsoft is concerned. If you exceed 10,000 active Vista clients,
then you're in violation of your agreement, but Microsoft won't know
about it via some magic mechanism. KMS-activated clients don't talk to
Microsoft. They talk to your KMS host.

The step-by-step guide I referenced tends to look dry and overwhelming
to people and I suspect that many folks don't really sit down and take
the time to read it thoroughly (can't blame 'em), but it really is all
explained there.

Laura

Hopefully I didn't put any typos or other doofusness in the above; it's
been a bad week for me when it comes to typing. :-)