c - 312.731.3132

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Cline
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 12:45 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] OT: Vista Activation and KMS

I was testing out the RTM of Vista Enterprise last night and noticed I
didn't have to enter a key at any point during the install. When Windows
tried to activate, it told me there was a DNS error, so I suspected it
looks for a local activation server by default. Sure enough, in the DNS
cache was a lookup for a nonexistent _vlmcs._tcp.domain.com. Upon
further research, it appears Microsoft has not released KMS yet, and I
couldn't find any option to activate directly with Microsoft. For the
moment, is telephone activation the only option?

Brian Cline, Applications Developer
Department of Information Technology
G&P Trucking Company, Inc.
803.936.8595 Direct Line