Anno domini 2018 JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via address-policy-wg scripsit:

> Responding below, in-line.

*PLEASE* use some meaningful way to quote and answer inline so a
reader can distinguish between the original text and your answer. You
current mode of answering is making this really hard.

>     > De: address-policy-wg <address-policy-wg-boun...@ripe.net> en nombre de
> Martin Huněk <hun...@gmail.com>
>     > Fecha: miércoles, 16 de mayo de 2018, 17:28
>     > Para: <address-policy-wg@ripe.net>, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
> <jordi.pa...@consulintel.es>
>     > Asunto: Re: [address-policy-wg] proposal to remove IPv6 PI
>     >
>     >>     Hi Jordi,
>     >
>     >>     As I understand it, the PA is only for a LIR and PI is also for
> sponsored organization. Also the PI is solely for the end user infrastructure
> and and PA can be further allocated or assigned.
>     >
>     > This is our actual definition. We can change it whenever we want. What
> I'm asking is what is the *real* distinction among them. Forget for a minute
> in contracts, fee structure and so on. There is no need to call the same with
> different names if we don't want. I'm calling here for simplicity. Once we
> remove the sub-assignment obstacle, there is not anymore a difference.
>
>     Discussion should be about, if we want to / should remove such
> *obstacle*. I would personally prefer that policy about PI space would stay
> the same. Just RIPE NCC should be more investigative and restrictive when
> assigning those.
>
> Being Internet policy is very difficult. If we have ways to avoid that, is an
> easier way to achieve the same. Policies are for a fair distribution of the
> resources, to make that distribution simpler, not to have complex policies
> and then being unable to track how well anyone is behaving with them.
>

>     > Yes, that's the idea, please see my slides. PI holders will need to
> become members, maybe the fee will get an increase (something on the line of
> a small one-time setup fee and later on a proportion of the cost of a /32 if
> you are getting only a /48, etc., but this is for the membership to decide).
> What we all win with that is a fairer cost distribution and also an easier
> way to make sure that the rules are followed and nobody tricks the rules
> using a PI as PA. Specially for the NCC is much simpler.
>
>     Easy as a flat rate for every LIR. Actually this is the main problem
> problem for me. LIR should by the name work as local internet registry. This
> has been broken for IPv4 by IPv4 shortage. Not everyone should be forced to
> be a RIPE NCC member. I'm perfectly fine with 50 EUR fee for every /48 for
> those. Such organization which needs PI have no plans for assigning
>
> Is easier, but it is fair?

This is not for the AP-WG to decide.

> addresses to third parties, so why they should be LIR when they don't plan to
> act as one?
>
> The problem is that once we accepted 2016-04, that got broken. End-users
> being assigned a /48 are using that now to sub-assign addresses to other
> end-users (employees, students, users of a hot-spot, etc.).

Well, most people obviously don't consider this "broken" as there has
been a consensus after all. And I think we really made clear that it's
not a sub-assigment, which was the whole point of the last two years.

>     This would make IPv6 addresses less accessible. It is like LIR saying:
> "Do you want to have your own addresses or more then I gave you? Go to the
> RIPE NCC and pay them 1400 EUR/y! No matter what you do...". Those PI users
> would either loose protection of their own space or they would had to pay 28x
> more per year plus 2000 EUR sign up fee. What would do company outside of the
> internet business? They would not implement IPv6, that is easy! :-)
>
> As said before, this is fixed in combination with the fee structure decision
> by the AGM. So *no*, on the contrary, will be fairer. I think probably a 50
> Euros cost for a /48 is really too low, and may be a /32 will become cheaper,
> and of course, a /20 more expensive. There are many possible models for that,
> but it can be perfectly managed to avoid anyone having a requirement from a
> /48 to not being able to afford it.
>
>     >>     In my opinion PI should still be here, but only for a special
> cases, non-ISP non-LIR organizations. So if there will be any use of PI space
> by ISP for its clients, it should be immediately reclaimed by RIPE NCC. Also
> LIR should not be entitled to claim PI for itself. But this is just my point
> of view.
>     >
>     > So then, again, let's roll back 2016-04, because is non-sense that
> somebody instead of using the addressing space for their own organization as
> end-user, is using it for a hotspot or datacenter.
>
>     2016-04 is not the problem, it doesn't say that you can use PI as PA. It
> just allows you to use your PI range on your premise and give access to such
> network to the third party. It does not allow you to give whole range to CPE.
>
> It allows sub-assigments, which was not the intent of the original IPv6 PI,
> at all.

This may be true but it's not relevent. The "original IPv6 PI" isn't here
anymore and the community decided it should be the way it is *now*.

Best
Max