On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Jean Chang wrote:

> 
> I have the same problem. I just upgraded from Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator
> version 6 to the new Roxio Easy Media Creator version 7.

Maybe try Nero? I don't know about -authoring- but once you've got an 
authored movie ready to burn a video DVD I would use Nero Burning ROM.
http://www.nero.com


> When I try to
> preview the DVD before burning it, the movie looks all "jerky" and "blocky"
> (those ARE technical terms, right?)  :) 

no but ignoring your smiley to contribute some technical terms from the 
signal world (I AM after all a Computer Engineering PhD student) the terms
you want are 
certainly jitter which is a variation in the rate or more formally:
>From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

  jitter
       n : small rapid variations in a waveform resulting from
           fluctuations in the voltage supply or mechanical
           vibrations or other sources

>From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (27 SEP 03) [foldoc]:

  jitter

          Random variation in the timing of a signal, especially a
          clock.

(dict is your friend!)


as for blocky you mean an effect, usually from over-compression in the
case of video and photo files, such that you have groups of pixels acting
as one rather spreading out the image. That it is as if you had a lower 
resolution. The technical term you seek is "jaggies" and it is jargon.
Again dict gives us the formal definition, such as you can have from 
jargon:
>From Jargon File (4.3.0, 30 APR 2001) [jargon]:

  jaggies /jag'eez/ n. The `stairstep' effect observable when an edge
     (esp. a linear edge of very shallow or steep slope) is rendered on a
     pixel device (as opposed to a vector display).



>From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (27 SEP 03) [foldoc]:

  jaggies

          <graphics> /jag'eez/ (Or "staircase") The "staircase" effect
          observable when an edge (especially a linear edge of very
          shallow or steep slope) is rendered on a {bitmap display} (as
          opposed to a {vector display}).  The effect is even more
          pronounced when a bitmap image or text in a bitmap font is
          enlarged.  {Outline fonts} and {anti-aliasing} are two
          techniques used to solve this problem with text.





 Anyway, has anyone found a
> reasonably priced DVD authoring program that will give good quality? I know,
> I'm probably expecting too much, you get what you pay for, etc., but since
> this is only a hobby for me, I don't want to spend a fortune. I guess I
> could just go back to the old version 6, but I was having a few glitches
> with that one too. Also, any feedback on Nero vs Roxio for authoring? It's
> frustrating when I finally get what for me is a "great" movie, only to have
> the quality be so poor when I author it for DVD. Thanks!
> Jean
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Amit Dogra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[email protected]>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 2:49 AM
> Subject: [AP] AVI-to-DVD Authoring
> 
> 
> >
> > I have a 1.3GB AVI file which i'm trying to Author for a DVD. I'm using
> Win AVI Converter but it reduces the quality and size of the authored files
> to a great extent(655MB). I'm not sure if Win AVI Converter is the right
> option for doing this conversion.
> >
> > Is there any good DVD authoring software which retains the quality of the
> input file.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Amit
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Do you Yahoo!?
> >  Send holiday email and support a worthy cause. Do good.
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> 
> 
> 
>  
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> 
> 
>  
> 
> 
> 
> 


 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to