Zoltan:
 Finally get a chance to answer you.  I :think: I understand what you are
getting at…

 First, some numbers - recalling that each of these nodes is one storage device:
Node1: 358,000,000+ files totalling 430 TB of primary occupied space
Node2: 302,000,000+ files totaling 82 TB of primary occupied space
Node3: 79,000,000+ files totaling 75 TB of primary occupied space
Node4: 1,000,000+ files totalling 75 TB of primary occupied space
Node5: 17,000,000+ files totalling 42 TB of  primary occupied space
  There are more, but I think this answers your initial question.

 Restore requests are handled by the local system admin or, for lack of a
better description, data admin.  (Basically, the research area has a person
dedicated to all the various data issues related to research grants, from
including proper verbiage in grant requests to making sure the necessary
protections are in place).

  We try to make it as simple as we can, because we do concentrate all the data
in one node per storage device (usually a NAS).  So restores are usually done
directly from the node - while all backups are done through proxies.
Generally, the restores are done without permissions so that the appropriate
permissions can be applied to the restored data.  (Oft times, the data is
restored so a different user or set of users can work with it, so the original
permissions aren’t useful)

  There are some exceptions - of course, as we work at universities, there are
always exceptions - and these we handle as best we can by providing proxy nodes
with restricted priviledges.

  Let me know if I can provide more,
Bob

Robert Talda