They are a 3rd-party partner that offers an integrated Spectrum Protect
solution for large filer backups.

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 07/09/2018
09:17:06 AM:

> From: Zoltan Forray <zfor...@vcu.edu>
> To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Date: 07/09/2018 09:17 AM
> Subject: Re: Looking for suggestions to deal with large backups not
> completing in 24-hours
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
>
> Thanks Del.  Very interesting.  Are they a VAR for IBM?
>
> Not sure if it would work in the current configuration we are using to
back
> up ISILON. I have passed the info on.
>
> BTW, FWIW, when I copied/pasted the info, Chrome spell-checker
red-flagged
> on "The easy way to incrementally backup billons of objects" (billions).
> So if you know anybody at the company, please pass it on to them.
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 6:51 AM Del Hoobler <hoob...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Another possible idea is to look at General Storage dsmISI MAGS:
> >
> >         INVALID URI REMOVED

u=http-3A__www.general-2Dstorage.com_PRODUCTS_products.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=ofZM7gZ7p5GL1HFyHU75lwUZLmc_kYAQxroVCZQUCSs&s=25_psxEcE0fvxruxybvMJZzSZv-
> ach7r-VHXaLNVD_E&e=
> >

> > Del
> >

> > "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 07/05/2018
> > 02:52:27 PM:
> >
> > > From: Zoltan Forray <zfor...@vcu.edu>
> > > To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> > > Date: 07/05/2018 02:53 PM
> > > Subject: Looking for suggestions to deal with large backups not
> > > completing in 24-hours
> > > Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
> > >
> > > As I have mentioned in the past, we have gone through large
migrations
> > > DFS based storage on EMC ISILON hardware.  As you may recall, we
backup
> > > these DFS mounts (about 90 at last count) using multiple Windows
servers
> > > that run multiple ISP nodes (about 30-each) and they access each DFS
> > > mount/filesystem via -object=\\rams.adp.vcu.edu\departmentname.
> > >
> > > This has lead to lots of performance issue with backups and some
> > > departments are now complain that their backups are running into
> > > multiple-days in some cases.
> > >
> > > One such case in a department with 2-nodes with over 30-million
objects
> > for
> > > each node.  In the past, their backups were able to finish quicker
since
> > > they were accessed via dedicated servers and were able to use
Journaling
> > > reduce the scan times.  Unless things have changed, I believe
Journling
> > is
> > > not an option due to how the files are accessed.
> > >
> > > FWIW, average backups are usually <50k files and <200GB once it
finished
> > > scanning.....
> > >
> > > Also, the idea of HSM/SPACEMANAGEMENT has reared its ugly head since
> > many
> > > of these objects haven't been accessed in many years old. But as I
> > > understand it, that won't work either given our current
configuration.

> > > Given the current DFS configuration (previously CIFS), what can we
do to
> > > improve backup performance?
> > >
> > > So, any-and-all ideas are up for discussion.  There is even
discussion
> > on
> > > replacing ISP/TSM due to these issues/limitations.
> > >
> > > --
> > > *Zoltan Forray*
> > > Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
> > > Xymon Monitor Administrator
> > > VMware Administrator
> > > Virginia Commonwealth University
> > > UCC/Office of Technology Services
> > > www.ucc.vcu.edu
> > > zfor...@vcu.edu - 804-828-4807
> > > Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations
will
> > > never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
> > > security number or confidential personal information. For more
details
> > > visit INVALID URI REMOVED
> > > u=http-3A__phishing.vcu.edu_&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> > > siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=5bz_TktY3-
> > > a432oKYronO-w1z-
> > > ax8md3tzFqX9nGxoU&s=EudIhVvfUVx4-5UmfJHaRUzHCd7Agwk3Pog8wmEEpdA&e=
> > >

> --
> *Zoltan Forray*
> Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
> Xymon Monitor Administrator
> VMware Administrator
> Virginia Commonwealth University
> UCC/Office of Technology Services
> www.ucc.vcu.edu
> zfor...@vcu.edu - 804-828-4807
> Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will
> never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
> security number or confidential personal information. For more details
> visit INVALID URI REMOVED
> u=http-3A__phishing.vcu.edu_&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=ofZM7gZ7p5GL1HFyHU75lwUZLmc_kYAQxroVCZQUCSs&s=umTd28h-