We've implemented file count quotas in addition to our existing byte
quotas to try to avoid this situation. You can improve some things
(metadata on SSDs, maybe get an accelerator node if Isilon still offers
those) but the fact is that metadata is expensive in terms of CPU (both
client and server) and disk.

We chose 1 million objects/TB of allocated disk space. We sort of compete
with a storage system offered by our central IT organization, and picked a
limit higher than what they would provide.

To be honest, though, we're retiring our Isilon systems because the
performance/scalability/cost ratios just aren't as great as they used to
be. Our new storage is GPFS and mmbackup works much better with huge number
of files, though it's still not great. In particular, the filelist
generation is based around UNIX sort which is definitely a memory pig,
though it can be split across multiple systems so can scale out pretty
well.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skyl...@u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354