I just spoke with an IBM guy about this topic yesterday.  There
are several important steps you need to do before hand:

Pre-Migration Steps

1.  Ensure that expiration processing has completed.

        This can be done a couple of ways.  The easiest I have found is
to run expiration without the "quiet=yes" option and then look in the
activity log to see what node is being processed.  Expiration processes
nodes based on the order that they are registered to the server.  You
can get this information quickly by running this:

        select node_name,reg_time from nodes order by reg_time

        Perform this routine several time over the period of a day to
two to see how quickly the server is getting through the node list.

2.  Run the "cleanup backupgroups" command.  This is only available as a
user process starting in 4.2.4.1.  The main target of this process is to
fix "System Objects"   Run this after expiration has completed 1 full
cycle.  If you don't do this before moving to 5.x, the conversion could
take a very long time converting the DB.

Migration Steps

1.  Empty disk pool and backup TSM DB, then halt the server.

2.  Remove current server packages (including license package).

3.  Install TSM server 5.1.0 packages (including license package which
should be done first).

        This will upgrade the DB which could take awhile depending on
the DB size ("awhile" translates to serveral hours).

4.  Start server to ensure that it works then halt the server.

5.  Remove server packages (leave the licensing intact).

6.  Install incremental code package (TSM 5.1.8).

7.  Start server and ensure that it is working correctly.

Michael French
Savvis Communications
IDS01 Santa Clara, CA
(408)450-7812 -- desk