Hi all,

On Sunday 24 Apr 2011 03:20:39 Joel Limardo wrote:
> I must have skipped the previous e-mails when all of this discussion about
> swearing started. I think there are times when a good curse word most
> adequately describes a situation, but these instances are exceedingly rare.
> When I look back in history and think of some barring  my rights to vote or
> the starving masses of France glaring up at Marie Antionette's window or
> something like that I am totally for a good shout of "You dirty sons of a
> b****!" However, in everyday conversation, and this goes for mailing lists,
> foul potty-mouthed language is just  not appropriate.
>
> And in truth, there are ALWAYS limits to freedom of expression depending
> upon the venue. For instance, it is illegal to scream "Fire!" in a theater
> if there is indeed no fire. It is illegal to call up someone and make
> harassing or threatening statements. Etc., etc. The rules of the venue
> determine the freedom. In most cases, if you are in the U.S., the limits on
> freedom of speech are normally very few and have more to do with public and
> personal safety.  The Internet and other social gatherings on the web have
> to set their own standards. The restriction on swearing in many places is
> among them.

Joel, thanks for supporting and elaborating on what I said. I couldn't have
phrased it better myself. Joel++ .

I agree that there is a place for swear or unpleasant words, and some people's
styles seem to be uttering them consistently (e.g: reportedly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Stern and Perl's very own
http://www.trout.me.uk/ ), but they are usually not appropriate and should be
avoided in most contexts. Paul Graham discusses it here:
http://www.paulgraham.com/resay.html .

As much as freedom of speech exists, a lot of things you say can get you in
trouble and even if technically legal, may be considered as a verbal offence.
For example, at one point, someone at a mailing list I'm on claimed that I
should take a shower, because after he visited the Technion, where I studied
for my bachelor's, he discovered that my body odour was still a legend after
my departure. I was told that spreading such rumours may be considered as
defamation, and one could successfully press charges against such things (and
yes, I had been guilty in the past of similar acts of defamation, which I had
conducted due to negligence and lack of awareness on my part.).

There are natural restrictions to free speech such as
defamation/slander/libel, conducting deceit or fraud, risking human lives,
matters of national security, privacy, secrecy and personal matters,
copyrights and trademarks (possibly even patents), and naturally there are
things you can say and are perfectly legal (and ethical) which will incur a
negative reaction and are not recommended. (see for example
http://www.paulgraham.com/say.html ).

Sorry for getting carried away here a little elaborating on what Joel said.
I'd like to return to the main topic of the proper conduct on
beginn...@perl.org because I feel it could be improved. I'll reply to a
different message later.

Joel, thanks again.

Regards,