In other words, "I don't want to"

On 7/4/18 10:08 AM, ch...@wbmfg.com wrote:
That is almost a perfect example of this job I need done.  I don’t begrudge a couple of guys making $1K  for a day of driving and a half day of working.  Seems like decent money to me.  Even at $75/hour, a 16 hour day comes in at $1200 per person.  Not unreasonable.  I can supply an employee or two for pulling on ropes etc.    But 4-10 times that amount are the range of the quotes I am getting. Just trying to calibrate my expectations.  I recently paid about $5K for a 100’ SSV to be erected.  (I paid for the crane work and we built the foundations in house). Now the same guy wants the same amount to hang a PTP 550 on it and another tower.  That is where the heartburn is kicking in.  I too have erected towers.  I know that it is a bit more work than just hanging a small integrated radio.
*From:* Jaime Solorza
*Sent:* Wednesday, July 4, 2018 10:57 AM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Tower climbing
I understand as an employer you have to look at cost vs benefit....but tower climbing is to me different from other Telecom work.  I really don't climb much anymore and out of the flow as to what folks are charging now. Did a job in Midland with son realigning two 11GHz links on water tanks....left El Paso at 4 am, drove almost 4 hours...worked 6...drove home....I made 800.00 , son 600.00.   Plus Travel and per diem ...some other outfit wanted to charge them 3000.00.  They hired us again few months later to install new radio after one got sent to heaven by lightning.. but Midland pays well. Just don't like it much..no mountains...

Jaime Solorza