Ain’t no easy solution to this.  I have one fiber line that goes over the
mountains between Telluride and Cortez CO.  Hump everything in.  Splice it on
the ground and do show shoes for the slack up on the strand.  Hooks, poles,
ladders.  Mules.

From: Adam Moffett
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 9:00 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Splicing on a pole off road

You can definitely mount a splice case on the pole.  Whether you mount it at
the bottom or the top doesn't make much difference.  So for new installation
and drop termination you could pre-plan and leave slack in all the right
places.  The issue I see is when there's a break and I have to develop slack
from somewhere down the line or work with what's there.

There's also the fact that if I'm in the brush or in cornfield there may be no
convenient place for a tent on the ground, and I have to be able to splice in
the middle of the driving snow storm or else I'm just a pretender and not a
real service provider.

So we might have to set up a tent and a work table up in the air and spike up
the pole, and all of that crap has to be carried on foot.  I enjoy backpacking,
but it sounds like a lot of shit to carry.  #RuralFiber

I'm hoping for easy answers because I'm fundamentally lazy, but my devotion to
duty means I have to set aside laziness and just grouse and bitch my way
through whatever problem I'm facing.  So I know that I can walk out into the
bush with all of my crap for splicing up on the pole in the wilderness....I
just don't want to.  Come on AFMUG, give me the easy solution!