I can only hear Ford Prefect saying that now.

On 6/2/2019 5:57 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

It’s amazing how many companies that people assume are profitable are anything but. At least for now. I guess we said this about Amazon once.

But Uber lost $1 billion on $3 billion in revenue in the most recent quarter. They already have the app. They don’t own the cars. The drivers are not employees. How are they losing so much money, unless they are literally losing money on every sale and intending to make it up on volume?

*From:*AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> *On Behalf Of *Bill Prince
*Sent:* Sunday, June 2, 2019 5:15 PM
*To:* af@af.afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] SpaceX Says Its 60 Starlink Satellites Are All Phoning Home (and Fading Out) | Space

There are whole bunches of risk factors.

Assuming the satellite-mesh system works (and that is still an if; note that this first batch does not include the sat-sat laser link capability), I have not seen a real estimate of the system capacity. I would presume there would be separate earth stations for each orbital plane. There could even conceivably be multiple earth stations for each orbital plane, which would make the system capacity flexible.

IDK if they're making money or not, but they are serving body blows to the competition.

There was open speculation that the Falcon heavy was going into a limited demand situation, but now that it seems to be working (so far), that market opportunity may be shifting as well.