In FTTH builds, equipment is typically under 10% of the total costs. Labor
is usually 70-80% from quotes I've seen but people spend so much time
figuring out equipment design when they should be finding ways to reduce
their labor/install costs.

When a 2.5G PON becomes saturated, it'll be easy to upgrade but I have yet
to find a single company with a saturated PON even with a 64 split. Homes
simply can't use that much bandwidth. The average is still 3-4 Mbps per
home and it does not double each year. It's probably a 25% increase year
after year in our network.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 8:24 PM Chris Fabien <ch...@lakenetmi.com> wrote:

> Mark, I'm working on a grant application and they are wanting to see proof
> (and a PE stamp) on the design that it will meet performance requirements
> for X years. I'm very comfortable with GPON at a 32 split or less being
> fine for probably at least 8+ years.  Just was asking if there is an
> industry standard way of calculating this or if everyone doesn't worry
> about it. I suppose it would be much more relevant if we were proposing a
> VDSL system instead of FTTH.
>
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 8:36 PM Mark - Myakka Technologies <m...@mailmt.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>>
>> Does it really matter?  If you are AE you get 1GB per customer
>> dedicated.  Not too hard or expensive to to bump that to 10GB per customer
>> dedicated.  GPON does 2.5Gbps per pon usually shared by 32 customers.  New
>> 10 Gbps PON will do 10 per pon or I've even heard that they can do 40Gbps
>> per pon using different wave lengths.
>>
>> Our system has been up and running for 6+ years.  I've had to upgrade
>> switches and routers.  Even had to upgrade to sfp+ uplink cards on one of
>> my fiber systems.  Haven't had to touch GPON cards or customer ONT's.  In
>> my system I see the 2.5Gbps PON lasting for many many years unless
>> something drastic happens.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Mark                            mailto:m...@mailmt.com <m...@mailmt.com>
>>
>> Myakka Technologies, Inc.
>> www.Myakka.com
>>
>> ------
>>
>> Thursday, August 8, 2019, 6:34:06 PM, you wrote:
>>

>> Is there any standard or common rule of thumb to design for future usage
>> when designing a FTTH deployment? As in, we estimate average usage per sub
>> to be 2Mbps now and increase by 40% per year. The intent being to certify
>> that your design will meet demand for say 10 years.

Darin Steffl
Minnesota WiFi
www.mnwifi.com
507-634-WiFi