The issue with loaning masks is that the person borrowing it may be
infected. It protects other people except those that borrow the master of
somebody who has an infection. in our town we recently had 35 people get
infected within a day because this food manufacturing company was providing
Mass to its employees as part of its standard food preparation program. So
infected people put it on mass then put them in a common box which were
then shared by the on the next shift by those who are not infected
infecting almost the entire plant.