Well, right, that's true, and another thing that you need to consider is
that something like an Aviat will run at higher TX power, and probably has
better receive sensitivity, meaning you might be able to use smaller dishes
for similar performance in some circumstances.

Using 2 foots is doable on 7 miles around here (the ubnt dishes are
actually something like 32", but the gain is more in line with a decent
2')... but it all depends on what your requirements are. It will lose some
capacity in heavy storms, but I wouldn't expect that to be a major problem
in Utah. Even putting a 3' dish on some structures we're installing on is
questionable (whether for wind load reasons, appearance or even just lack
of space), so 4' or 6' has pretty much been out of the question on the
links I've done. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 11:34 AM Mike Hammett <af...@ics-il.net> wrote:

> I didn't mean to imply it would be the same price, but it's a different
> value that needs to be considered.
>
> If you need larger or higher quality dishes, they very well could
> represent more cost than the electronics in either scenario. Ever price out
> 4' or 6' high performance dishes?
>

> It's not just cat A vs. cat b, but within cat A there are still huge
> differences in what you may need to use in your environment.
>
> That said, in our area, I can't imagine using less than a 3' dish for a 7
> mile link in 11 GHz. I'd be happier with a 4'.
>

> -----
> Mike Hammett
> <https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL>
> <https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb>