If the LEO satellite services work, these should be the first customers to sign
up.  Assuming they haven’t chosen to build their house so deeply in a forest
they can’t see the sky.

From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Brian Webster
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:20 AM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group' <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] TVWS feasibility

Spectrum is always going to be a challenge in TVWS. The recent FCC TV channel
auction/repack has eliminated some of the channels so now there is less. Some
manufacturers are doing channel bonding to improve performance and throughput.

The problem with the databases and channel availability is that they only
report where your base station is located and how many channels you can use.
You could get a great list of channels for use at the tower, then reality can
kick in and when you try to install CPE devices, those same channels may not be
available to transmit on for the client end. This could really become a pain
when it breaks your planned use of bonded/adjacent channels. Just losing one
available channel on the client end (because the client location is now within
a channel contour area) can kill your thoughts on viability. With fewer not
adjacent channels available after the repack it takes some serious
investigation for your planned deployment to see if things will work for you.

The CPE equipment is still quite expensive, most prices you see quoted do not
include an antenna. TVWS CPE antennas with any amount of gain are expensive and
physically large. Good rule of thumb for CPE, antenna and labor usually comes
in between $800-$1000. There is just not enough production runs from any
manufacturer to get the price point lower.

Thank you,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com <http://www.wirelessmapping.com>