Yes - an open area will give you a stronger signal.

As long as a radio signal is above the detection threshold (the signal is
strong enough for the radio to detect) and the SNR is high enough to support
the modulation it will perform to specification (assuming the manufacturer
provided accurate specifications).

Keep in mind that wooded areas generally attenuate both noise and signal
equally.   At the customer side receive sensitivity can quickly become
important due to the attenuated signals you are trying to detect.    At the
access point (AP) side (which is presumably not in the trees) SNR is usually a
bigger concern.    The AP is going to have to be sensitive enough to detect the
(tree attenuated) signal coming from the client while still hearing all of the
noise that exists in the open areas.

Mark