Clearly RF isn't my specialty... Instead of SNR I guess I really meant noise. If the noise floor is equal wouldn't there be less attenuation of the signal in an open environment (resulting in a better SNR)?

At 10:41 AM 6/23/2020, you wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 10:32 AM, D. Bernardi <dberna...@zitomedia.net> wrote:
>

> I was thinking more in terms of foliage or other object density, or mountains/hills, to help estimate range. Wouldn't TVWS still have better performance in an open area compared to dense forest given equal SNR?

If SNR is identical then you will get identical performance, assuming the same channel size and modulation. TVWS channel size is considerably smaller than the higher frequency alternatives and has lower modulation levels (at least that I have seen).

Mark