From: AF [mailto:af-boun...@af.afmug.com] On Behalf Of Mark Radabaugh
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 11:18 AM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] TVWS feasibility

Yes - an open area will give you a stronger signal.

As long as a radio signal is above the detection threshold (the signal is
strong enough for the radio to detect) and the SNR is high enough to support
the modulation it will perform to specification (assuming the manufacturer
provided accurate specifications).

Keep in mind that wooded areas generally attenuate both noise and signal
equally.   At the customer side receive sensitivity can quickly become
important due to the attenuated signals you are trying to detect.    At the
access point (AP) side (which is presumably not in the trees) SNR is usually
a bigger concern.    The AP is going to have to be sensitive enough to
detect the (tree attenuated) signal coming from the client while still
hearing all of the noise that exists in the open areas.

Mark

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 11:09 AM, D. Bernardi <dberna...@zitomedia.net> wrote:
>

> Clearly RF isn't my specialty... Instead of SNR I guess I really meant
noise. If the noise floor is equal wouldn't there be less attenuation of the
signal in an open environment (resulting in a better SNR)?

> At 10:41 AM 6/23/2020, you wrote:
>
>> > On Jun 23, 2020, at 10:32 AM, D. Bernardi <dberna...@zitomedia.net>
wrote:

>> > I was thinking more in terms of foliage or other object density, or
mountains/hills, to help estimate range.  Wouldn't TVWS still have better
performance in an open area compared to dense forest given equal SNR?

>> If SNR is identical then you will get identical performance, assuming the
same channel size and modulation.    TVWS channel size is considerably
smaller than the higher frequency alternatives and has lower modulation
levels (at least that I have seen).