No, the maximum official size is 16AWG which is good for 12A.   If you're
looking at bringing it up the tower, I'd recommend using a transition
terminal block that can handle whatever size wire you're bringing in, and
then run a smaller one to the pdu.   Bonus reliability points if you use
ferrules on the 16AWG wire (assuming stranded wire here).

And, yes, each of the 5 ports have fast overcurrent protection which will,
in most cases, shut one port down and leave the others running.  The "most
cases" is the hedge which covers things like the power supply you're
powering the whole thing from having faster overcurrent protection than
ours.   And cases where the short circuit causes enough of a power supply
blip to cause everything else to reset due to the sudden voltage drop in
the short period before the overcurrent protection kicks in.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 8:46 AM Nate Burke <n...@blastcomm.com> wrote:

> Can the terminal block handle 12AWG wire?   If one of the outputs shorts,
> does that take the entire PDU offline, or is there internal limiting with
> the 3A per port.
>
> On 11/18/2022 6:57 AM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:
>
> The packetflux base 3 is similar in the context of it having similar i/o
> possibilities.  Â
>
> The main difference is that the tycon product is fixed function, so as
> long as you can monitor exactly what you want with it, it will work for
> you.   If you want a different set of i/o then you're SOL.
>
> I also would caution anyone passing current through the tycon product to
> be mindful that the terminal blocks they use may not be able to handle what
> they specify as a maximum current on a continuous basis.  Typically those
> types of connectors are rated at 12 or 15A and they say they can do 20A.Â
> I'm hopeful that they have bought special connectors to handle 20A, but
> even if they didn't they should be able to handle short periods of 20A.Â
>
> The packetflux Base 3 has evolved quite a bit from the early days,
> although there are still some limitations due to us wanting the current
> version to be drop in compatible with the previous version.   But some of
> the updates make this more useful at a wisp DC site.   For instance, the
> base 3 and most of the power distribution or injection models will handle
> both positive and negative power, at a much wider range than most units.Â
> So you can use both +24V and -48V to power it up at the same time.Â
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2022, 11:11 AM Chuck McCown via AF <af@af.afmug.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Nice.  Good price too.  What does Forrest have that is similar?

>>> PDU.  A fourth radio would put you over the 8A total.  That wasn't an
>>> issue
>>> in my deployment, but if you're planning 4+ sectors per tower then that's
>>> something to be aware of.  Next problem is wire gauge.  Anything
>>> bigger than
>>> 14ga is gonna have trouble squeezing into the connector on the packet
>>> flux
>>> PDU.  Voltage drop on 48V /8A with 14ga is going to be pretty severe at
>>> 300ft, but if the tower is short then it's probably ok.  I was
>>> deploying on
>>> 70ft poles, and we ran 16ga up to each radio so it was acceptable, but
>>> feeding the 8A input on the packetflux PDU on a taller site could be an
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> In any case I'd advise separate cables.  I know it seems wasteful, but
>>> you
>>> can have any tower dude climb up there and put the green plug into the
>>> green
>>> hole.  If you want the tower climber to strip and terminate DC cables
>>> then
>>> you'd have to be careful who you send up there.  If you're dead set on a
>>> single power run then something with built in breakers is a good idea.
>>> Packetflux PDU would fit that bill.Â

>>> radio.  Could put it in some sort of NEMA with a DIN mount.  The
>>> Sitemonitor
>>> base is hardened, would the PDU be as well?
>>>
>>> Are there other options?
>>>
>>> --

- Forrest