I think ages make a huge difference in a lot of this. If you're talking
about a 17 year old, you're still living at home, saving all your money,
trying to get out. Sure, $17 an hour would be amazing.

If you're 22, you should be able to afford a 1br apartment on your own, you
shouldn't need roommates, you should expect that you can save 1k a month
for the future, maybe purchase a home by 28? You're going to need to make
more than $17 an hour.