I've run, successfully,  my own email server.  It isn't that hard.  Had to
in the early days.   Pain in the ass to maintain  and manage,  yes. Pain to
get running,  not so much.   It's a big enough pain to run on an ongoing
basis that I choose to pay someone else to do it nowadays.

As far as anonymous email goes. It isn't a big impact in that anyone can
register their own domain with privacy enabled or otherwise identity
hidden.

It's difficult to spoof dkim in particular because you have to sign each
email with the private key which has the Public key registered in DNS.   So
you send an email, and your email server has to sign it with the correct
key for the origin domain. That way you know the email originated from a
trusted server for the domain.   That's the real point of dkim...  ensuring
the email origin matches the header information.   It isn't about removing
privacy, it's about preventing someone from pretending to be a domain which
they aren't.

I took a bit closer look at your email bounce.

Is your wife's email @mail.com or @linuxmail.org?

If it's @mail.com, you may want to check the envelope sender settings in
the email client.

What appears to be happening here is Google is getting a message which
seems to be from @linuxmail.org but can't verify that the source IP is
correct.  However the origin IP is correct for @mail.com, so if your wife's
email is @mail.com, this might be as simple as fixing the envelope sender
in the client.   If that isn't it,  then you may want to verify your
outbound mail server setting.

If this is via a web client, then mail.com needs to fix their email
settings.   They're sending this mail into Google with @linuxmail.org
addresses which don't have any spf and dkim records,  and worse,
linuxmail.org is listed in numerous spam blackhole lists.