Who remembers a famous USENET author that had:

A host is a host from coast to coast

(what was the next line?)

As part of their signature..  Not the copycats, but the original...

On 3/12/23 13:13, Chuck McCown via AF wrote:
Back in the day, just sniffing the ethernet would get you all the email flying around your company.  Was kinda fun.
I know one guy that would purposely jam another’s outgoing email.
Once he detected who it was from he would just turn on transmit.  This was on a CSMA/CD coaxial network.
*From:* Forrest Christian (List Account)
*Sent:* Sunday, March 12, 2023 2:01 PM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] mail servers
Internet email isn't anonymous,  never was.  Even in the early days. There has always been a multitude of ways to track email back to the origin server.  And there has been a multitude of ways to obfuscate but not hide that origin. Any anonymity you may have is based on the origin server either not knowing or not being willing to disclose that information.  Every email received generally will be able to be tracked back to the origin server,  with the caveat that sometimes the owner of the origin server will be unable to be determined since any random person can spin up a server, send mail,  and drop off the planet. Note that spf and dmarc don't validate the user.   They only validate that the email originated from servers known to send mail for a given domain and provide some cryptographic assurance of that fact. It's a way for legitimate companies to ensure that email that appears to come from them actually comes from them and for companies like google to be able to reject what appear to be emails with spoofed sender information.