The short version is this:

Some US laws and regulations basically require a license for "receive-only
earth stations," which operate with any non-US satellite service.   This,
unfortunately, includes GNSS systems such as GALILEO and GLONASS.  The link
Ken provided ( https://www.gps.gov/spectrum/foreign/ ) is a good spot to
describe the government's position and provide links to the CFR sections
about this and so on.

However, the problem is that the FCC only started making noise about GNSS
being affected by this a few years ago. By then, thousands, if not
millions, of GPS+GLONASS receivers were operating in the US.  Trying to
stuff that back in the bag is not really possible.  And it's getting harder
and harder as more are added every day.

The official legal status is that GPS is fine (obviously).  In addition,
there is a waiver process that foreign systems can go through, and GALILEO
(and only GALILEO) has completed that.   So we're left with GPS+GALILEO
being the only multi-GNSS system with the US government stamp of approval.
 I doubt we will ever see any enforcement actions here as almost every
single American has an unlicensed ground station in their pocket (as you
pointed out).

There are other reasons why GLONASS, in particular, isn't an ideal GNSS
system for the timing applications we use.   The main technical one is that
the specified GLONASS-UTC offset is up to 1ms (1/1000th of a second),
whereas GPS and GALILEO are better than 1us (1 millionth of a second).   In
fairness to GLONASS, they are typically under 1uS as well, but their offset
is usually bigger than either GPS or GALILEO (with GALILEO typically being
the best).   But the summary is that adding GLONASS to GPS tends to
slightly reduce the precision of the timing signal, and adding GALILEO
typically improves it.

I've purposely ignored the geopolitical issues here, but I will state
this:  I'm also not 100% comfortable with using a system that relies on
Russia not deciding to intentionally mess with the signals from GLONASS.

This all adds up to the reason why I decided to switch the defaults to all
GPS+GALILEO.  It's guaranteed to be actually legal.  Technically
GPS+GLONASS is a better choice than GPS+GALILEO.  And finally, GALILEO
doesn't roll their date over every 4 years, causing issues.

- Forrest