Nice. And making GPS+GALILEO the default seems eminently reasonable.I will also
say the new (as of several years ago) web interface on the Rackinjector is very
nice, and the SiteMonitor Base 3 has the same interface. Leaps and bounds
better than the Base 2. If like me you still have a bunch of the older ones in
service, it's worth the price to upgrade. From a hardware perspective, it's a
direct replacement. In my case it's laziness, not cost, I just need to find the
time and go do it.---- Original Message ----From: "Forrest Christian (List
Account)" Sent: 1/1/2024 8:16:17 PMTo: "AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group"
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Ken HohofThe short version is this:Some US laws and
regulations basically require a license for "receive-only earth stations,"
which operate with any non-US satellite service.? ?This, unfortunately,
includes GNSS systems such as GALILEO and GLONASS.? The link Ken provided (
https://www.gps.gov/spectrum/foreign/ ) is a good spot to describe the
government's position and provide links to the CFR sections about this and so
on.However, the problem?is that the FCC only started making noise about GNSS
being affected by this a few years ago. By then, thousands, if not millions, of
GPS+GLONASS receivers were operating in the US.? Trying to stuff that back in
the bag is not really possible.? And?it's getting harder and harder as more are
added every day.The official legal status is that GPS is fine (obviously).? In
addition, there is a waiver process that foreign systems can go through, and
GALILEO (and only GALILEO) has completed that.? ?So we're left with GPS+GALILEO
being the only multi-GNSS system with the US government stamp of approval.? ?I
doubt we will ever see any enforcement actions here as almost every single
American has an unlicensed ground station in their pocket (as you pointed
out).??There are other reasons why GLONASS, in particular, isn't an ideal GNSS
system for the timing applications we use.? ?The main technical one is that the
specified GLONASS-UTC offset is up to 1ms (1/1000th of a second), whereas GPS
and GALILEO are better than 1us (1 millionth of a second).? ?In fairness to
GLONASS, they are typically under 1uS as well, but their offset is usually
bigger than either GPS or GALILEO (with GALILEO typically being the best).?
?But the summary is that adding GLONASS to GPS tends to slightly reduce the
precision of the timing signal, and adding GALILEO typically improves it.?
??I've purposely ignored the geopolitical issues here, but I will state this:?
I'm also not 100% comfortable with using a system that relies on Russia not
deciding to intentionally mess with the signals from GLONASS.This all adds up
to the reason why I decided to switch the defaults to all GPS+GALILEO.? It's
guaranteed to be actually legal.? Technically GPS+GLONASS is a better choice
than GPS+GALILEO.? And finally, GALILEO doesn't roll their date over every 4
years, causing issues.On Mon, Jan 1, 2024 at 3:14?PM Josh Luthman
<j...@imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:US cell phones have GLONASS support.? What
makes you say there's a legal question?On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 6:10?PM Forrest
Christian (List Account) <li...@packetflux.com> wrote:Some customers wanted the
added redundancy that comes with more satellites.? The irony of the thing which
we changed to improve reliability biting one in the rear with this issue is not
lost on me.At this point, everything is going out with GPS+GALILEO since there
is some question about if it is even legal to operate a GLONASS receiver in the