That is the stance we took with the voip phones in general


On 6/7/2015 4:20 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
After dealing with all of the others, it's Polycom or nothing for me. The others just aren't worth my time.



-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>

Midwest Internet Exchange
http://www.midwest-ix.com

<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From: *"Faisal Imtiaz" <[email protected]>
*To: *[email protected]
*Sent: *Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:17:52 PM
*Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

So I gather you are not the VOIP service provider ? but you sold them the phones ?

Additional out of the box suggestion...
If you are / were the VOIP service provider, (i.e you have a revenue stream coming from it), and or you are responsible for maintaining them..... You could potentially consider, offering an upgrade / trade in or even replace so that you don't have to deal with the heartburn related to GrandStream firmware to a better phone....

e.g some of the better quality phones polycom's, snom, linksys, cisco etc go for a song on the secondary markets..


Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, FL 33155
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232

Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

    *From: *"George Skorup" <[email protected]>
    *To: *[email protected]
    *Sent: *Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:26:22 PM
    *Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

    Nope, nothing personal. Discussion is great, new ideas can come
    from it.

    As far as the Grandstream phones, we can't tell the customer,
    sorry, these won't work, you have to buy 10-20 new ones, Polycom,
    Snom, whatever it may be. If I was the customer, I'd be saying the
    same thing.. that's not my problem because you sold them to me.
    The reseller says, nope, you have to work with Grandstream
    support, and they are completely right. So we're stuck in the
    middle looking like assholes to the customer.

    I'll give this to Cambium 2.0, they are definitely more responsive
    and paying attention.

    On 6/7/2015 1:57 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:

        Please don't take this personal, just take it as constructive
        criticism....

        >>Trying to get the guys to remember to add a bunch of rules
        in a radio probably won't happen.

        I think you may have a QC / installation  process issue (aka
        provisioning), which you are trying to compensate for.

        >>Maybe I'm a nazi when it comes to the network, but.. don't
        touch the network and I won't have to kill you.

        Instead of taking this stance, I suggest you look into how to
        make changes without someone screwing up something else by
        mistake.
        (hint.. changing stuff via scripts is one way to do this).

        >>>It took them a YEAR to fix the stuff we showed them was
        broken in their software! But no, we're the asshole to the
        customer which forces us to hack shit to make it work, and
        then it's still not up to the customer's expectations.

        Why are you/your customers insisting on using GrandStream phone ?

        Just another suggestion:-
        We would much rather run a 'standard' based network, and not
        customize these types of settings on the Radios.. If we ran
        into this type of a situation, we would offer a managed router
        service (free or nominal charge), and or use a mikrotik router
        as a dmarc on the customer prem, and do all the funny business
        customization on that.

        Regards


        Faisal Imtiaz
        Snappy Internet & Telecom
        7266 SW 48 Street
        Miami, FL 33155
        Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232

        Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email:
        [email protected]

        ------------------------------------------------------------------------

            *From: *"George Skorup" <[email protected]>
            *To: *[email protected]
            *Sent: *Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:24:36 PM
            *Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

            Right. As I said, I've never had to change any of the
            DiffServ code points on any Canopy radio. Trying to get
            the guys to remember to add a bunch of rules in a radio
            probably won't happen. It's easier for me to tell them to
            just turn on HP. Maybe I'm a nazi when it comes to the
            network, but.. don't touch the network and I won't have to
            kill you.

            Anyway.. the new Grandstream firmware, how awesome is
            this.. the SIP QoS default is DSCP 26, which is LP on
            Canopy. Knowing that, I DO NOT want the guys touching the
            DiffServ code points in the radios. It's easier to
            configure the phones with SIP DSCP 12 and RTP DSCP 46. To
            accommodate the stupid/broken devices, I already have
            other rules on the network that prioritizes SIP as 12 and
            RTP as 46. I like standards. OK, my standards.

            On 6/7/2015 12:59 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:

                Works on Canopy, though.


                Josh Luthman
                Office: 937-552-2340
                Direct: 937-552-2343
                1100 Wayne St
                Suite 1337
                Troy, OH 45373

                On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Mike Hammett
                <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

                    Having only half listened to the thread, it sounds
                    like broken Grandstream VoIP is broke on ePMP.



                    -----
                    Mike Hammett
                    Intelligent Computing Solutions
                    http://www.ics-il.com

                    
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>

                    Midwest Internet Exchange
                    http://www.midwest-ix.com

                    
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
                    
------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    *From: *"Josh Luthman"
                    <[email protected]
                    <mailto:[email protected]>>
                    *To: *[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
                    *Sent: *Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:54:29 PM

                    *Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

                    For this use case (QoS on VoIP):

                    Cambium Canopy works
                    Cambium ePMP does not work

                    Seems that simple to me.


                    Josh Luthman
                    Office: 937-552-2340 <tel:937-552-2340>
                    Direct: 937-552-2343 <tel:937-552-2343>
                    1100 Wayne St
                    Suite 1337
                    Troy, OH 45373

                    On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Faisal Imtiaz
                    <[email protected]
                    <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

                        BTW, the latest firmware for GXP 2160 is
                        1.0.4.23 (did a google search), and the admin
                        manual shows two settings for L3 QOS (one for
                        SIP and one for RTP)

                        EPMP QOS allows you to modify the default
                        settings to over-ride to your taste.

                        If I understand your 'complaint' you are
                        dealing with f**ed up GrandStream Phones, and
                        you want Cambium to Change the Default
                        handling of VOIP QoS to match your needs ?

                        Now that does not make any logical sense...

                        The default setup for QoS Voip on EPMP is
                        perfectly fine for all of the other devices
                        which follow the industry standard of
                        VOIP/Video packet marking.

                        Unless there is something that I am totally
                        missing, I think you are taking out your
                        frustrations with GrandStream on Cambium !

                        :)


                        Faisal Imtiaz
                        Snappy Internet & Telecom
                        7266 SW 48 Street
                        Miami, FL 33155
                        Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232
                        <tel:305%20663%205518%20x%20232>

                        Help-desk: (305)663-5518
                        <tel:%28305%29663-5518> Option 2 or Email:
                        [email protected]

                        ----- Original Message -----
                        > From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]
                        <mailto:[email protected]>>
                        > To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
                        > Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:06:27 AM
                        > Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
                        >
                        > The 1.0.4.17 firmware for the GXP phones (we
                        have mostly 2160s and some
                        > 30s and 40s) cannot be downgraded since it
                        contains a security fix. I
                        > have a couple phones that are now fk'n stuck
                        on that because of it.
                        > We're running an internal engineering build
                        on some phones with fixes
                        > for their screwed up SIP message handling
                        and corrupt outgoing messages.
                        > Some phones we have not upgraded from
                        1.0.3.9 because it mostly works.
                        > None of those firmwares allows separate SIP
                        and RTP QOS. We're doing
                        > testing and validation of 1.0.4.23 with our
                        switch vendor currently,
                        > which does do the split QoS. About half of
                        the bug fixes listed in the
                        > .21/.23 release notes were ours. Just have
                        to wait and see what other
                        > shit is broken now.
                        >
                        > But besides all that, I have other phones
                        and ATAs (both Grandstream and
                        > not) that refuse to send SIP with anything
                        other than DSCP12, even when
                        > it's configurable. I don't really care if
                        SIP is sent with AF and RTP as
                        > EF, that's perfectly acceptable. RTP should
                        be higher priority than SIP
                        > anyway. Standard DiffServ config supports
                        this just fine. So as far as
                        > the network is concerned, I have to support
                        AF and EF, and I'm fine with
                        > that. All I was saying is that Cambium
                        should do this out of the box on
                        > ePMP if you turn on VoIP priority. This is
                        what happens on Canopy when
                        > you turn on HP on an SM, both DSCP12 and 46
                        end up in the HP channel.
                        >
                        > On 6/7/2015 1:11 AM, Josh Reynolds wrote:
                        > > I don't know what grandstream devices you
                        are looking at, but 21xx series
                        > > and the other Linux and android based
                        phones don't have that issue.
                        > > Neither does the asterisk based UCMs, such
                        as the 6104. Screenshots
                        > > attached.
                        > >
                        > > On Jun 6, 2015 8:17 PM, George Skorup
                        <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
                        wrote:
                        > >> I disagree. This is exactly what Canopy
                        does. DSCP12/AF is sent over the
                        > >> HP channel. Look at the default DiffServ
                        table and see for yourself.
                        > >> Many managed switches are set up exactly
                        the same way, except they have
                        > >> more queues, and Canopy only has MIR and
                        HP. Well, there's LP CIR, but
                        > >> lets not get into that. ePMP just has
                        "priority" which I assume means
                        > >> priority over everything else.
                        > >>
                        > >> I need a way to correct stupid
                        manufacturer's mistakes (Grandstream
                        > >> being the worst offender). Lots of their
                        devices ALWAYS send SIP packets
                        > >> as DSCP12 and this CANNOT be changed. Or
                        the other one I mentioned, the
                        > >> GXP phones have one DSCP setting and this
                        changes both SIP and RTP. I'm
                        > >> disgusted with their stupidity, but
                        unfortunately it has to be supported
                        > >> because those devices aren't going away.
                        > >>
                        > >> It's totally doable and Cambium could add
                        it by default, saving me time
                        > >> configuring every radio with it. Or just
                        make DiffServ on ePMP
                        > >> work/configure like Canopy.
                        > >>
                        > >> I don't care what's wrong or right. I
                        care about shit working right now
                        > >> and customers not being pissy.
                        > >>
                        > >> So the burden falls on the network as
                        usual. It's always our fault.
                        > >> Sometimes I just don't know how I haven't
                        murdered people. If I drank,
                        > >> it would probably happen. And I'm finding
                        myself agreeing with that one
                        > >> guy Steve every other day now. Stupidity
                        has no limit.
                        > >>
                        > >> On 6/6/2015 10:31 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
                        > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12
                        (Assured Forwarding) in addition to
                        > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the
                        default VoIP priority
                        > >>>> configuration.
                        > >>> That would be a mistake and the wrong
                        thing to do.
                        > >>>
                        > >>>> We're finding more devices sending SIP
                        packets as AF and
                        > >>>> RTP as EF.
                        > >>> When a device is mis-configured, why
                        should the burden of dealing with
                        > >>> that mis-configurtion as a default fall
                        on another device
                        > >>>
                        > >>> There is plenty of flexibility to
                        override the wrong setup of a device,
                        > >>> if that is they way you want to correct
                        it in your radios...
                        > >>> (Which by all standards would be the
                        wrong way to fix it...but more power
                        > >>> to you).
                        > >>>
                        > >>> Two wrongs don't make a right..
                        > >>>
                        > >>>
                        > >>> Regards.
                        > >>>
                        > >>>
                        > >>> Faisal Imtiaz
                        > >>> Snappy Internet & Telecom
                        > >>> 7266 SW 48 Street
                        > >>> Miami, FL 33155
                        > >>> Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232
                        <tel:305%20663%205518%20x%20232>
                        > >>>
                        > >>> Help-desk: (305)663-5518
                        <tel:%28305%29663-5518> Option 2 or Email:
                        [email protected]
                        > >>>
                        > >>> ----- Original Message -----
                        > >>>> From: "George Skorup"
                        <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
                        > >>>> To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
                        > >>>> Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 10:27:05 PM
                        > >>>> Subject: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
                        > >>>>
                        > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12
                        (Assured Forwarding) in addition to
                        > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the
                        default VoIP priority
                        > >>>> configuration. We're finding more
                        devices sending SIP packets as AF and
                        > >>>> RTP as EF. AF isn't prioritized and
                        out-of-band signaling (prompts, etc)
                        > >>>> are sent as SIP messages so sometimes
                        these are getting dropped, not to
                        > >>>> mention registrations, invites, etc.
                        And more devices are stupid (mostly
                        > >>>> Grandstream), they only let you set ONE
                        priority value for the entire
                        > >>>> device. These are coming default as
                        DSCP12/AF. I've tried to get
                        > >>>> everyone to change this to 46, but they
                        don't remember.
                        > >>>>
                        > >>>> Or just apply the whole Canopy DiffServ
                        table. We've never had to change
                        > >>>> any of those code points. Turn HP on,
                        it just works.
                        > >>>>
                        >
                        >










--

Reply via email to