Full routes means that you see all routes your providers pass on.  It can be a
large list but it does give you the best view outbound.   As long as you have
the memory and CPU to handle it there isn’t really any reason not to take it.
Even with ‘full routes’ you usually don’t want to take anything more specific
than a /24

Partial routes limits the prefix length you see to cut down on the amount of
memory and routes you see.   You won’t see the optimal route (not that BGP path
is truly optimal anyway) but you should still be able to reach the vast
majority of destinations even without a default route since there is normally a
less specific ‘covering’ prefix.  A /22 filter with a default route cuts down
on the number of routes significantly.  A /20 further reduces the routes.

Default route is just that - a place to send traffic when you don’t have a
route in the routing table.  Perhaps because you filtered it out.  It sends the
traffic to your upstreams router for them to deal with.  If they don’t have a
route then it gets dumped.  The default route really just changes where the
traffic dies - before or after it leaves your network.

‘best’ is probably full routes, if you have hardware that can handle it.  If
not then filter prefixes to match what the hardware can do.

Mark