But you still have to power the radio, so there's still potential for surge damage. Yes, a more weak point is always going to be a copper ethernet PHY. However, I will say that our loss rate at towers has significantly gone down after moving to DC UPS's, fuses (PacketFlux solid-state even better) and better surge suppressors. Would I like to completely get rid of POE, absolutely.

I completely support Mike's call for SFPs. Problem is, most vendors still view that as a way to make more money. They hold it over our heads claiming the carrier grade argument. While others claiming carrier grade are nowhere near "carrier grade". And some even make you buy a license key to use the slot(s).

On 9/19/2016 9:16 AM, Adam Moffett wrote:
Especially true if you're colo'd with high powered transmitters.
------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Hammett" <af...@ics-il.net <mailto:af...@ics-il.net>>
To: af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
Sent: 9/19/2016 10:12:32 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] DC tower cable bundle
That doesn't do much for me. I don't want any copper data plugged into my infrastructure. It's another weak point. Yes, I want OOB management, but I don't want copper data.

Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>